Law Office of Chandra E. Miller
A Northern California Family Law Firm
Call Now To Talk To An Attorney
530-377-5022 Local
866-679-7592 Toll Free

Deciding whether to start a custody case in California

People sometimes wonder if they should initiate a child custody case or instead leave the courts out of it. Some people may be worried that if they file a case, the child's other parent will become angry. They may also worry that the other parent may receive more custody and visitation rights than the ones they already have.

For some parents, an informal parenting agreement works, and court action is thus unnecessary. In other cases, however, parents may need to file a case in order to get a custody and visitation order from a judge.

Such an order may allow a parent to make important decisions regarding their child's medical needs, religion and education. Parents should also be aware that, while child custody and child support are intertwined, getting a custody order does not automatically result in getting child support. People must file separate motions for child support matters, but both actions may be filed concurrently.

A child custody order may be helpful in alleviating disputes between parents. It may also help officially establish both parents' rights regarding decision-making on their child's behalf. In addition, if a person receives a child custody and visitation order, they may choose to go back to court to request modifications if the terms are no longer viable or applicable. People who might need to handle child custody matter in court may want to seek advice from a family law attorney. An attorney may be able to evaluate the parent's situation, advising them on how they should proceed. An attorney may also be able to negotiate a parenting agreement that protects their client's interests.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Office

Law Office of Chandra E. Miller
1147 High Street
Auburn, CA 95603

Phone: 530-377-5022
Map & Directions

  • Avvo
  • Rated by Super Lawyers

Facing A Divorce Or Family Issue?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy